These are all ingredients I usually have in the house. Especially in the winter. I think fire roasted tomatoes, cannellini beans and stock are part of a well stocked pantry. In fact, I’m currently compiling my list of A Well Stocked Pantry so that I can keep myself more organized with what I need on hand.
We love this one pot meal, which is also full of super foods. I served it with grilled cheese this week, which was a hit!
- 2 lbs kale, stems discarded
- 2 tbsp evoo
- 1 tsp sea salt
- tsp pepper
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey or tofu
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 16 oz fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 16 oz cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1/2 cup quinoa, couscous or brown rice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp herbs de provence
1. In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the garlic, onions, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until golden brown.
2. Add ground turkey or tofu, and brown.
3. Add zucchini, squash, kale and mushrooms. Simmer 5 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, beans, stock. Bring to a boil.
5. Add your grain. Simmer for 5 minutes or so.
6. Season to taste, simmer a final 10 minutes and serve.
*The longer this simmers the better it tastes. You can add additional stock to make it more like soup and less like stoup!
And then, as I mentioned, we love to have a treat too! Thursday’s often end up being my cheat day. I’m tired as the week wears down. Last night we got rotisserie chicken from Rotisseur, which is cage free and antibiotic free. We add veggies to make it sort of like healthy take out. And the, here it is, the “Mom, I will smile but cannot take my eyes off of my ice cream” face!